Visual Paradigm just won't start

Hi there!
I’ve recently downloaded and installed VP Suite 4.1, Community Edition with the key you provided me on my e-mail.After the successful installation I’m having some trouble though.The problem is,it just won’t start.A window appears asking me to choose the workspace and then,after I choose it,the program does nothing.It doesn’t open the VParadigm.Nothing,it doesn’t even show up on the Task Manager.What could be wrong?
I’m using Windows XP SP3 32bit on a Toshiba lap top A200-21T.
Thanks in advance.

Hi user,

Thanks for your post. Would you mind to send me the vp.log file and hs_errXXXX.log (where XXXX is number) in VPSuite/bin folder to take a look?
Also, may I know what display driver are you using?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hello again,
thanks for the quick reply.
I can’t seem to find no hs_err log file on that directory,or any other for the matter.I did find the vp.log file though.Here’s what it says:

[Mon Nov 09 09:44:56 GMT 2009] [message] [Mon Nov 09 09:44:55 GMT 2009]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Community Edition [VP-UML CE]: 7.1 (sp1_20091107)
[Mon Nov 09 09:45:15 GMT 2009] [warning] unknown setting on VPPreference: v.idoa@f8395f.DefaultHTMLDocFont
[Mon Nov 09 09:45:23 GMT 2009] [message] Can’t happen! javax.swing.text.BadLocationException: Invalid location
[Tue Nov 10 09:35:04 GMT 2009] [message] [Tue Nov 10 09:35:03 GMT 2009]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Community Edition [VP-UML CE]: 7.1 (sp1_20091107)
[Tue Nov 10 09:35:32 GMT 2009] [warning] unknown setting on VPPreference: v.idoa@39c8c1.DefaultHTMLDocFont
[Tue Nov 10 09:35:38 GMT 2009] [message] [Tue Nov 10 09:35:38 GMT 2009]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Community Edition [VP-UML CE]: 7.1 (sp1_20091107)
[Tue Nov 10 09:35:54 GMT 2009] [message] Can’t happen! javax.swing.text.BadLocationException: Invalid location
[Tue Nov 10 09:36:18 GMT 2009] [message] [Tue Nov 10 09:36:18 GMT 2009]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Community Edition [VP-UML CE]: 7.1 (sp1_20091107)
[Tue Nov 10 09:36:22 GMT 2009] [warning] unknown setting on VPPreference: v.idoa@98ce7e.DefaultHTMLDocFont
[Tue Nov 10 09:36:25 GMT 2009] [message] Can’t happen! javax.swing.text.BadLocationException: Invalid location
[Tue Nov 10 09:37:25 GMT 2009] [message] [Tue Nov 10 09:37:25 GMT 2009]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Community Edition [VP-UML CE]: 7.1 (sp1_20091107)
[Tue Nov 10 09:37:28 GMT 2009] [warning] unknown setting on VPPreference: v.idoa@98ce7e.DefaultHTMLDocFont
[Tue Nov 10 09:37:32 GMT 2009] [message] Can’t happen! javax.swing.text.BadLocationException: Invalid location
[Tue Nov 10 09:39:18 GMT 2009] [message] [Tue Nov 10 09:39:17 GMT 2009]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Community Edition [VP-UML CE]: 7.1 (sp1_20091107)
[Tue Nov 10 09:40:03 GMT 2009] [warning] unknown setting on VPPreference: v.idoa@ca3783.DefaultHTMLDocFont
[Tue Nov 10 09:40:08 GMT 2009] [message] Can’t happen! javax.swing.text.BadLocationException: Invalid location

I’m currently using the Catalyst Display Driver 9.10 for the Radeon HD2600 that comes in the laptop.
What could be wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Hi user,

Sorry for my late response. May I know whether you are using standard theme on your Windows? If not, could you please change to use standard theme and try start VP-UML again?

If this does not work or you are using standard theme on Windows, please try to use JRE 1.6 by the steps below:

1. shutdown VP-UML
  2. download latest JRE 1.6 from http://java.sun.com/ and install it
  3. go to installation directory of VP and rename the “jre” folder to something else
  4. copy the installed JRE folder to VP installation directory, make sure it’s named as “jre”
  5. restart VP-UML

Look forward to hearing your response.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Goodnight,
Thanks again for your quick reply.
I did try everything you suggested.I wasn’t using the standard theme so fixed that.Also downloaded the JRE.I regret to tell it didn’t work as well:(.Still no error log,just the same message in the vp.log.
I’ve seen somewhere in this forum someone talking about dual screen on the graphics card,my graphics card has that option always turned on,I don’t know if it may have something to do with it (anyway i can’t turn it off).
Do you have some more suggestions!?
BTW,I am very pleased to see that you actually support your users with their problems in this forum,it’s getting harder to see software-developers companies doing it this efficiently.
Thanks in advance.

Hi user,

Thanks for trying with standard theme and JRE 1.6. Would you mind to run VP-UML in debug mode with the steps below and see if we can collect more information? Thanks in advance!

1. shutdown VP-UML
  2. download attached run.bat file and place it to “bin” folder of VP installation directory
  3. double-click on the run.bat file for repeating the problem
  4. copy all output in console and save it on .txt file and attach it to us

I look forward to hearing your response.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong
run.bat

Good night Lilian Wong,

I bring some good news (thanks to you),albeit kinda weird.
The thing is,after I downloaded your run file,the VP started working!!!I chose the workspace and then it didn’t die!The thing is,it only runs when I start the run file you gave…I don’t know whether that’s good or not.Anyway,following your instructions here’s what says in the debug window opened by the run file.
Shoul I be worried or will it be fine from now on???

Thanks for all the help!

C:\Programas\VP Suite 4.1\bin>…\jre\bin\java -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -cp “.;…\lib\v
pplatform.jar;…\lib\jniwrap.jar;…\lib\jhall.jar;…\lib\vpuml-help.jar;…\lib\w
inpack.jar;…\lib\vpupdate.jar;…\lib\openapi.jar;…\ormlib\orm.jar;…\lib\jh.ja
r;…\lib\lib01.jar;…\lib\lib02.jar;…\lib\lib03.jar;…\lib\lib04.jar;…\lib\lib
05.jar;…\lib\lib06.jar;…\lib\lib07.jar;…\lib\lib08.jar;…\lib\lib09.jar;…\li
b\lib10.jar” RV debug
[Fri Nov 13 22:57:00 GMT 2009]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Community Edition
[VP-UML CE]: 7.1 (sp1_20091107)
Installation properties: C:\Programas\VP Suite 4.1\resources\vpuml.vpsuite_inst
allation.properties
Refreshing language files in directory: C:\Programas\VP Suite 4.1\bin..\UserLan
guage

VPUMLProject.clearModelModificationHistories()
Project Loader: v.irjw@1a93f38, 20090916, project.xml: true
Load project as definition: 141

x Load Project: untitled, C:\Documents and Settings\FTB\Os meus d
ocumentos.vpprefdata.systemproject.vpp
After open: : 62
Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException:
No such child: 2
at java.awt.Container.getComponent(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.swing.JideSplitPane.setDividersVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.swing.JideSplitPane.componentHidden(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processComponentEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Can’t happen! javax.swing.text.BadLocationException: Invalid location
… plugins directory: …\plugins
loading plugins… 0
plugins loaded
Can’t happen! javax.swing.text.BadLocationException: Invalid location
Installation properties: C:\Programas\VP Suite 4.1\resources\vpuml.vpsuite_inst
allation.properties

Hi user,

Thanks for replying. Would you mind to try add the parameter -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false to the “run.bat” file and see if the problem can be solved as well?
i.e. the entire command will be:

..\jre\bin\java -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -cp ".;..\lib\vpplatform.jar;..\lib\jniwrap.jar;..\lib\jhall.jar;..\lib\vpuml-help.jar;..\lib\winpack.jar;..\lib\vpupdate.jar;..\lib\openapi.jar;..\ormlib\orm.jar;..\lib\jh.jar;..\lib\lib01.jar;..\lib\lib02.jar;..\lib\lib03.jar;..\lib\lib04.jar;..\lib\lib05.jar;..\lib\lib06.jar;..\lib\lib07.jar;..\lib\lib08.jar;..\lib\lib09.jar;..\lib\lib10.jar" RV debug

By the way, you can start VP-UML by the .bat file at the moment (you can remove " debug" at the end of .bat file to not running VP-UML in debug mode).

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Good night Lilian Wong,
I did as you told me to and added the specific line.Well,I really can’t say if anything changed.It still doesn’t run in any other way except through the run file you provided.As long as you say it will be fine this way,I guess it works for me.
Thanks for all the help so far.

Hi user,

Thanks for replying. So you mean with the parameter -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false in “run.bat” the application is started properly?

If so, please follow the steps below for applying the parameter to VP-UML launcher:

1. shutdown VP-UML
  2. go to %{VP_installation_dir}\bin folder
  3. create a blank file, name it “Visual Paradigm for UML 7.1.vmoptions” (.vmoptions is the file extension)
  4. edit the file and enter
    -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false
  5. save the file
  6. go to %{VP_installation_dir}\launcher folder
  7. create a blank file, name it “run_vpuml.vmoptions”
  8. repeat steps 4 & 5 on the file

After these steps, you will be able to start VP-UML by launcher/Start Menu/shortcut. Please feel free to ask if there is anything I can do to help.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Unfortunatelly I’ve got the same problem and solution you mentioned did’t work. I mean after running your bat file VP doesn’t start. This issue is connected with version Standard 8.0 and I’ve got Windows Vista.
Looking forward to hearing from You.