Where is SDE user guide for Netbeans?

i could find SDE user guide for Eclipse but not Netbeans - even the link marked for Netbeans is same as that for Eclipse.

where is it?

Thx!

Hi Fans VP,

Thanks for your post. Since the features works great similar in SDE for Java IDEs (Eclipse, NetBeans, IntelliJ IDEA) and we used SDE for Eclipse to write the User’s Guide, whether you access to User’s Guide of SDE for Eclipse, SDE for NetBeans or SDE for IntelliJ IDEA, you will be directed to User’s Guide of SDE for Java IDE.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to contact me if you have any problem when using SDE for NetBeans.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian

Thx for your reply!

i’m a Netbeans user for Java, although not the only IDE for me. It has come with VP UML plugin since years ago, but i didn’t find the formal document repository about this plugin.

At first i’d like to know whether it is same as SDE commnunity edition and update to date in terms of feature sets, seconly, which concrete feature sets are supported on it in comparision to other VP editions? i’ve found the product comparison matrix from VP website, but felt not so concrete as i’d wished. Thx!

Hi Fans VP,

Thanks for replying. The User’s Guide introduces all features available in Enterprise Edition as it’s a full User’s Guide (at the moment there is not User’s Guide for specific edition). We will keep updating our User’s Guide with the new features.

You can find the edition comparison between editions of SDE for NetBeans from the following link:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/sde/nb/editions/

If this is not what you need or it’s as your expected, would you mind to tell me what details do you expected? Thanks!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Ok, there’re plenty of useful info i would expect from the user guide.

However i’m a little confused by the relationship between Netbeans’ pre-packed UML plugin and Visual Paradigm.The former is neither SDE-NB nor through integration with SDE-NB. Is it based on VP? i’m not sure where i’ve got impression that it is. How does NB keep update to VP in the case?

Thx!

Got it!
Netbeans UML

Hi Fans VP,

Thanks for replying. The UML plugin in NetBeans does not provide all UML diagrams for modeling, but we fully support UML Specifiction from OMG.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

A delayed response but heck :wink:

UML support on NetBeans has always been a bit flakey. Originally they adopted support for UML diagramming from the Sun Java Studio IDE (which by the way has been discontinued almost 2 years ago). This happened when NB really started to take off as one of the leading Java IDE’s out there (around NB 5.1). The UML plugin wasn’t really stable (its never been really adopted as a core feature) but nevertheless quite useful in its own way.

When NB 6.0 came along the NB coders had done a full code rewrite and also re-defined the way the NB plugins should function. This resulted in a lot of plugin coders to re-define their work. One of them… Yes, you guessed it; were the UML plugin guys. Quite unfortunate too in my opinion (well for them, not for us :wink: ) because when they decided to do a full code rehaul too they ended up with a plugin which was pretty much useless (from a developers point of view, specifically my view). Most diagrams had been dropped, and yes; you are right when you say that it awfully looked like VP’s product. At a time I too wondered when looking at the current state of the plugin if it wasn’t VP pulling the strings. Still, the two products are so much different and you can still find certain behavior in the NB UML plugin which is clearly dating from its Java Studio days.

Alas… When you check out the official plugin section of the NB feature pages you’ll notice that it still mentions VP’s SDE for NetBeans. IMO they’re right if they simply drop their plugin alltogether, it just can’t match up to everything which VP’s SDE has to offer.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your information! :smiley:

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I’m a little bit confused…
I’ve got the community edition for netbeans under windows 7, and i have several netbeans projects. I need for each project different diagrams, and the classes of the diagrams must not be related to classes in another diagram, which have the same name.

At first i tried to make 2 diagrams in the same project, but got into trouble whith same-named classes, if i edited attributes in one diagram, they also changed in the other diagrams.
I don’t know HOW i did it, but after some tries, i got opened an other SDE CE-NB project, and could create another diagram in there, whithout the dependency on the old ones.
But now, if i Load the tool, it just loads any of the projects, and i don’t find a possibility to open the other one. If i go to "Tools->SDE CE-NB-> Open SDE CE-NB"
It just brings up a warning: “Project may contain external source folder, it is not supported to get source folder for code synchronisation. Please try to open SDE CE-NB from files explorer.”

I i navigate to the projects file, and try to open it from windows explorer, it brings netbeans into foreground, but doesn’t open it. It’s still the wrong SDE project opened.

I think i’m doing anything wrong, but is there no projects explorer for this???

Thank’s for any help…

Hi user,

Thanks for your post and the details. If you have some source folders that are not in the project folder, starting SDE-NB on that project will show the message “Project may contain external source folder, it is not supported to get source folder for code synchronisation. Please try to open SDE CE-NB from files explorer.”
Could you please try to switch to Files explorer in NetBeans, right-click on the project node there and select Tools > SDE CE-NB > Open SDE CE-NB (if you do not understand what I mean, please take a look at the attached image) to see if your problem can be solved?

Also, if you want to switch to another SDE project, please right-click on the NetBeans project node (either in Projects explorer or Files explorer) and select Open SDE CE-NB to start SDE on that project.

I look forward to hearing your response. Wish you all a happy new year!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

start_SDE-NB_in_Files_explorer.png

Ahhhh, tanks a lot, that’s the solution!
Didn’t find that one before, tanks.

Hi user,

You are welcome. Please feel free to ask if there is anything I can help again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong